Wednesday 20 February 2013

A brief history of Domaine de Trévallon - worth 7 minutes of any true wine lover's time

Despite the recent paucity of posts on this blog, followed by a real flurry in the last few days, I make no apology for my second post in as many hours(!)

I had the privilege of meeting Eloi Dürrbach of Domaine de Trévallon in 2007, when I visited the estate whilst on holiday in Provence. Despite the fact that I was a little late for my rendezvous (as usual!) Monsieur Dürrbach was very gracious and charming - he glanced up at me over his half-moon reading glasses, with a gently chastising look that said "You're late", but the twinkle in his eye gave him away. Despite my poor French, and thanks to his willingness to converse in a sort of Franglais, I immediately felt at ease, and it was such a thrill to spend 90 minutes or so in his company, tasting the wines (the finished wines from bottle and the constituent parts of the latest vintage from various large old oak foudres), touring his cellar and looking around a few of his 20 or so different vineyard plots, dotted around the hillsides of the Alpilles. The scenery is breathtaking and the terroir is magnificent - and not so much soil as rock. A truly magical place to grow grapes and make wine..........

I never tire of looking at this photo, taken during my visit in 2007.
One of the smaller plots at Domaine de Trévallon - a truly magical place

My own little homage to Domaine de Trévallon in my dining room - alas, all empty!
So imagine my pleasure and surprise at seeing a link to this short video, posted today on the Trévallon Facebook page. It really is a gem of a profile and is surely worth 7 minutes of anyone's time - especially those who share a love of great wines and great winemakers. Enjoy. And many thanks of course to Domaine de Trévallon for sharing it!




In case you hadn't noticed, we at Leon Stolarski Fine Wines stock a range of vintages from Domaine de Trévallon. They aren't cheap, but when you consider that one of France's greatest wines will cost you no more than some Village Burgundies or middling Bordeaux, it kind of puts things into perspective.

You can follow Domaine de Trévallon on Facebook. And of course you can follow Leon Stolarski Fine Wines on Facebook.
              

No comments: